Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Latest Sewing Inspiration

Do you follow Carolyn over at Diary of a Sewing Fanatic?  Right now she is sewing a tri-colored ponte dress inspired by one she saw on the St. John website.  I am going to be honest with you here in that I have never heard of St. John before.  Where have I been?  I guess I have been drooling over Marina Rinaldi dresses for too long.

When I saw the dress that inspired Carolyn I had to go check out the rest of the collection from St. John.  I was especially smitten with St. John's Leather Channel collection.  So without further ado, here is the piece that has inspired me (click on the picture to head over to Nordstroms, with whom I have no affiliation, and have a better look):

Photo from www.nordstrom.com

I have a cobalt ponte in my stash that is screaming to be made in to this "Leather Border Milano Knit Wrap".  I thrifted a beautiful long black leather skirt a few weeks back for $1.98, but in a size 10 there was no way I was going to be wearing the skirt.  It's butter soft leather is destined to trim quite a few projects this Fall, starting with this beauty.

This will be a self drafted pattern as it is basically a big rectangle, with a smaller rectangle cut out for the neck opening.  I will post details once I get her made.  I suspect it will be a quick project and I am really excited to get my Necchi machine out for sewing the leather, because she doesn't get nearly enough love.

BTW - I call my Necchi machine Ne Ne.  She is a hard worker that is her best when her back is up against the wall, but she can be a real biotch when she wants.  She's got attitude, and if she doesn't like what I am sewing she will let me know by throwing a fit.  She love, Love, LOVES leather though!

More details to come!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment