Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Sewing List 2014

With my wrist and hand injury, since I can’t really sew (though I did finish off a t-shirt yesterday and am paying for it today) I am working on things like organizing my sewing area, making my Fall sewing list, and cooing over fabric that I want to buy but can’t justify at this time.

I am normally not one to deprive myself when I find a fabric that really grabs me.  But, there is a lot of potential change that is happening around here, and the thought of adding to my stash and having to drag it half way across the country is just not appealing at all.

There are a lot of great things that I want to sew for Fall 2014, and I have a lot of light sweater knits in the stash that are screaming at me right now to make something beautiful out of them.  Most of the things that are really inspiring me right now have nothing to do with sweater knits though.

A few weeks ago when the temperatures dropped in to the 40s at night, and before I went on the disabled sewers list, I sewed a red and white stripe sweater knit into a self drafted dolman style tunic.  It is really cute and is already getting a bit of rotation in the wardrobe.  It is great with jeans, which I wear a ton of this time of year.   It is just a really nice transitional piece that I have been .

So what am I looking forward to sewing this Fall?

First things first, I am looking forward to sewing my wrap dress for the Curvy Sewing Collective Wrap Dress Sewalong.  For the sewalong, I am sewing Butterick B5898 but I will be sewing it with either long sleeves or three quarter length sleeves (can't make up my mind).  This is going to be done in a great red and black ponte that I found at Hancock Fabric.




Green Style Creations has a great raglan t-shirt that I am looking forward to diving in to this Fall.  I see many great things in this pattern, including a spirited shirt for my favorite college football team.  I may split it down the middle and make a raglan cardigan out of it as well, but we will see if I manage to get to that.



Burda Style #7168 in view C is also on the list.  I have a piece of eggplant purple faux suede that is calling out to be made in to this casual jacket.  Paired with a fitted t-shirt, skinny jeans, and tall boots, this jacket will become a Fall Classic.


I also intend to make Burda Style Animal Print Dress #133b from the downloadable site.  Am I the only one that thinks things get confusing between the patterns in the magazine, the downloadables, and the paper patterns all from Burda Style?  I have a cream and black animal print ponte from Fabric Mart that I am going to use to make this.  I really like the shape of this dress, and think it will be very cute paired with tights and ankle boots.


I know there will be many more items that will be on my Fall 2014 sewing list, but these are the ones that I will be sewing as soon as my wrist heals.  

So, I gotta know is there something that you are looking most forward to sewing this Fall?

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you make! I hope you heal faster than expected. Have you ever tried wearing a brace or gloves while sewing? I had a problem with my hands a few years ago and got some sewing gloves from joanns. They also had wrist wraps and such. If you don't already have one, might be something to look into when you're healed. I don't wear mine much anymore as I must have healed my hands. My MIL wears hers all the time when sewing.

    I'm most excited about making a trench coat! I'll *eventually* be making the sewaholic Robson in silk faille.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The animal print dress is a nice option for the Fall 2014. I'll be making a flannel plaid shirt in a Fall color and I'll be using the New Look 6407 pattern. The most of my clothes are made in cotton fabric because I just can't stand that static cling from synthetic fabrics ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flannel plaid shirts are such a great Fall staple to have. My problem is I can never find a good quality flannel that I like.

      Delete
    2. I ordered mine from Fabricworm, the collection is from "Robert Kaufman, Mammoth FLANNEL, Cider" and the yard costs $9. You can also buy 1/2 yard when you need just a piece for contrasting and they have a lot of cotton fabric there and some are organic cotton. I also ordered some fabric to make a sewing machine cover and a cell phone wallet, but they are not in a Fall color, they are Japanese cotton fabric. I'm not sure about the quality because this is my first order with them. As soon as I receive my package, I'll start my projects and share them on my blog with a fabric review.

      Delete