Friday, April 17, 2015

Response From StyleArc

Hello Friends, and Happy Friday!  I have been out enjoying the lovely weather today, and visiting a GREAT local fabric shop (more on that next week) but you can get a peak at that on my instagram.

I posted a review of the StyleArc Jennifer City Shorts last week, and I wanted to quickly let you all know that I received a response from StyleArc and here is what they said verbatim:

Hi Alicia, 

Firstly please accept our apologies for this late reply but we have been checking this pattern over and over again.
It seems you are right,  the sizing is a about 1 1/2 sizes too small when we get to the size 30.  This is a mistake, thank you for pointing it out to us. 
I'm sorry you are disappointed and sorry you went to the trouble of making this short only to find it too small.
We have now re-graded it and we are sending you another print out for your to look at and maybe remake?   
We are also sending you a length of fabric.

We realize this doesn't make up for your loss of time and fabric but we hope it will go toward making amends.

 Also attached are grade sheets for basic tops and pants.

We will put a parcel in the mail to you today.
Chloe, Lyn and Liz

In case you are wondering, the grade sheets that they are referring to were just sheets showing me how to grade the pattern based on my largest measurement overage.  It didn't take in to account that my size varies...but I digress.

I responded back that I would try the pattern again when it comes in the mail, and bluntly asked if I should be concerned that there may be discrepancies with the other patterns that I purchased from them.  I received a reply back that detailed the amount of positive ease or negative ease in each pattern and that the patterns do fit according to the chart.

StyleArc is back in my good graces for now, but we will see what happens when the pattern and the fabric get here.  What do you think friends, did StyleArc handle this well?

Hope the weather where ever you are is an beautiful as the weather here is, and that you all have a great weekend.

23 comments:

  1. Yes, that seems like a fair response. Nice of them to send you some fabric as well as a new pattern. A lot of companies wouldn't have. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your Style Arc patterns. I will really have to give them a go. Along with Hot Patterns they really are very fashion forwards. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it very nice that they would send a replacement length of fabric as well, because let's be honest they didn't have to do anything, and it ain't cheap to ship fabric from Australia to the US.

      Delete
  2. Actually admitting they screwed up and sending you the new pattern AND fabric is great customer service, I think, and a lot more than many companies would have done. The only other thing they could have done is give some assurance that they have actually checked their other patterns to make sure they have the promised ease; that would have gone a long way toward re-establishing customer trust in their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is great customer service. There really isn't anything else that I could have asked them to do.

      Delete
  3. I agree it's a good response. Mistakes can happen and at least they owned up to it and tried to make it better for you. I think you're also getting a non-PDF version of the pattern? If yes, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I already had the print version but I agree that it was a good response. In truth, they could have just as easily ignored me. I respect that they went back and actually measured the pattern instead of trying to blame the issue with the pattern on me (the user).

      Delete
  4. Oh ... nevermind ... I thought you had originally ordered the PDF but you had the print to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes a fair response. I have this pattern and am now concerned, I will have to check it carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on the size BeaJay. If the 30 was 1 1/2 sized too small, if you were in a smaller size it should be less. I would still measure before cutting in to the good fabric though.

      Delete
  6. Nicely handled on their side and how lucky for others that you pointed out the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree that they handled the issue well and am happy to have found this issue if it helps keep another sewist from having the same problem.

      Delete
  7. I think this is excellent customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i missed the original kerfuffle, but this seems like a good response to me-- especially including the fabric (which i was yelling about in my head until i got to that part of the email ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the fabric is always the number one concern. It's one thing when I screw up a piece of precious fabric, but it is a totally different matter when the fault lies with the pattern. I am interested to see what the piece will be that they send.

      Delete
  9. Yes it definitely is a good response, however, I would check everything thrice now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am if no other lesson has been taken away from this debacle, I have learned that measuring is an evil necessary, and maybe even muslining (grrrr) when working with an unfamiliar pattern company or pattern that no other sewists has reviewed yet!

      Delete
  10. I think this is brilliant customer service: they couldn't have done more. Mistakes do happen and they have investigated and put it right. I'm not the greatest fan of style arc because of their instructions, but this makes me likely them more! I think sending you the fabric is really thoughtful; I'm intrigued to know what you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received my fabric on Saturday, and it is a very nice quality stretch black twill. I look forward to using it to try the pattern again.

      Delete
  11. They acknowledged your loss of time on top of replacing what they could so I think they handled things brilliantly considering what little options there are in situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they did all that they could, and they have sent me a great piece of replacement fabric, and even sized the pattern they sent me specifically to my dimensions.

      Delete
  12. Seems like a fair response to me! I hope the next one works out better for you and the patterns you have aren't graded wonkily like that. Glad they have dealt with it well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Andie, you are right it is a fair response. I plan to make the new pattern at some point this week. I have been taking a page out of your book, and cutting out a ton of patterns and fabrics, so now I have a huge pile of clothes to sew. Should be many things coming from the sewing room this week!

      Delete