Friday, May 15, 2015

A Throw Back to My Youth - Simplicity 3799 and Butterick 6071

Friends, I actually finished this ensemble a few weeks back, but have yet to blog about it.  Please excuse the wrinkles, because this colorful duo is getting a lot of action!  It reminds me of the play clothes that I wore as a small child in the early 80s.

B6071 and S3799

The top is Simplicity pattern S3799.  I love this style shirt for the warm months, as it is light and breezy and just feels great.  This pattern would also make a cute nightgown or house dress in a similar material.  Speaking of which, the material used here is a 100% cotton crinkle gauze that I picked up at Hancock a few months back.  It was one of those reduced priced bolts that had never been pulled.  I had been watching it since last Spring, and when I finally decided to get it, it was 80% off because of someone's over sight.  My gain, I guess!  This kind of bright multi color pattern is a bit uncharacteristic for me, but this season I have really been craving these sorts of prints.

S3799 is a quick sew.  It fit straight from the envelope in a XXL, because honestly these style patterns offer a lot of ease.  I think that I did alright on the pattern placement, though in hindsight I probably would have gotten the center medallion a little more off center.  This pattern was cut and sewn in about an hour and a half.  I suppose it would have gone even faster had I not used a crinkle fabric.

S3799

For my dress loving friends out there, S3799 would sew up in to a perfectly fast Summer sundress.  Just add a belt to get the definition that you are looking for.  Though if you were to use a thin fabric like this, you would probably need a slip or lining.

I finished the underarms with burgundy bias tape (sorry no pics).  You might notice that I have been using a lot of bias tape lately, that is because I have a stockpile of the stuff from my thrifty shopping efforts and I figure I need to use it.  Plus, cutting bias makes pattern layout a pain.

On to the shorts!  Friends, do yourself a favor and challenge yourself with sewing some shorts this Summer.  It will be a great learning experience!  These shorts are Butterick B6071.  This pattern is actually intended for trousers or capris, but I chopped it off right at the knee line printed on the pattern and lo and behold, we have shorts!

B6071

This is all you are going to get to see of the front, because no one wants to see all that jiggly stuff, but I did want to show off my zipper insert and button hole.  If you look on the right side, you can see where I ended up with a tiny pucker on the waist band.  Little errors like that drive me crazy.  This fabric is a stretch twill, and I promise it doesn't look as wrinkly in person, nor do the front seams look stressed.  If anything it looks too loose.

B6071 has a really weird thing happening at the rear waist band.  When the pattern is laying flat, the waistband curves up.  Like picture the way a camel back sofa curves up.  When I finished sewing these, that weird back waistband stood out from my body.  So I opened the waistband up and inserted elastic.  I am NOT a fan of elastic waist pants.  If I decide to keep this pattern around I will be making some changes to the waistband for sure.


B6071

One interesting detail of these pants/shorts was that they have a welt pocket that runs through darts.  It made me a little nervous at first, but it worked out fine.  I only made faux welt pockets though.  I don't like the the bulk that real welts add, but me arse is such a large piece of real estate that it needs a little something to break up the landscape!


B6071

The faux welts were lined with a quilting cotton from the stash.  Peekaboo!


B6071

I used the same lining for the front pockets.  I think I have gone mad with lining pockets with cute cotton prints!


B6071 and S3799

S3799 is a pattern that I will use over and over again because it will keep me cool during those dog days of Summer.  B6071 may not see the light of day again.  Beware too, that this is a Connie Crawford pattern and they notoriously run large if you decide to give it a try.  I will wear these shorts because they are super comfy (due in part to the stretch twill), but honestly they just aren't very me.  I like tight bottoms that hold everything in.  I detest lycra in my denim!  Who's with me?  At least this pair went over my thighs.

What great things are you sewing up as the mercury rises?  Can't believe the unofficial start to Summer is only a week away!!  Any fun Memorial Day plans, ya'll??

14 comments:

  1. Love the outfit, Alicia! It's so summery and wonderful! :) It's Victoria Day weekend and I am celebrating with a sewing meetup and a sewing date. LOL. Sewing all weekend. :)

    I might take you up on the shorts challenge. I've been thinking about sewing up a pair of shorts. This is very out of the ordinary for me, because I just wear dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andie, that is a great way to celebrate Victoria Day! I wish I could find some peeps around here to have a sewing meetup with.

      You should do the shorts! It's a good challenge, and sometimes a gal needs something other than skirts and dresses.

      Delete
  2. Very cute look on you and the fabrics look lovely and summery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manju! I was a little worried it was too juvenile, but I like it and I guess that is what matters most. I am LOVING those printed trousers you just made. They look sophisticated yet comfy!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Candice! I hopped over to your blog and can't help but wonder why you haven't been on my radar. Adding you to the blog roll. That maxi dress you recently made is fabulous!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to see curvy shorts! I wear shorts every day in summer... gardening in a dress is a bad idea! I really like your outfit, but I can't wear tops that don't cover bra straps... I couldn't when I was 10, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we never see anyone sewing curvy shorts! Gardening is one of my other passions, and I totally understand about not wearing a dress when you are playing in the dirt. As for this shirt, I only have one bra that works with it, I plan on redrafting the yoke/neckline a bit so that I don't have to worry about that when I make it again.

      Delete
  5. I love it--and yes it reminds me of the short sets I used to wear as a kid. It doesn't look kiddish though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! It takes me back to the days of burning my legs on metal slides, real lawn darts, and drinking out of the garden hose and thinking it was the best water! Ha! Glad it doesn't seem too kiddish.

      Delete
  6. Very cute outfit! If you don't mind me asking, did you add bra strap keepers to that top to make it more bra-friendly? I've shied away from that style of neckline in the past because of the bra strap issue but was wondering if you'd found a workaround.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I did not add bra strap keepers, and I don't mind you asking at all. I have one bra that works with this type of shirt (in truth a strapless bra would work too and I do have one of those as well). I also make S1884 which is a similar design but v-neck. I find what is best to do to get full coverage is to make the yoke and put it on in the mirror, then take the body of the shirt and put it on and pin it in place to get the coverage the way you want it. Everyone wears different style bras, but if you use that method, you should be able to get the coverage you desire by adjusting the insertion point for the armscye to the yoke.

      Delete
  7. That is a great outfit. I especially love your fabric choices. The top fabric looks lovely and cool and the shorts fabric is such a lovely colour. Makes me long for Summer. Still jumper weather here. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mother! It will get warm there soon, too. I was starting to wonder if this was the Winter that would never end, but now it seems we have gone straight from Winter to Summer with very little Spring in between!

      Delete