Sunday, March 22, 2015

When Life Gives You A Wadder - Simplicity 1356

Friends, this tale starts with two sets of sheets I found on clearance at Target for $5.08.  Extra long twin sheets which yield about 6 yards of good usable fabric...woot woot!



The label on back of the package said they were a cotton rayon blend, and they had a great hand, so I figured I loved the prints, so why not.  Why not, indeed!  Upon opening the sheets they were in fact 100% polyester, and at that point I should have decided to save them for bright and colorful lining for a future project.  How did I overlook the whole Microfiber nomer on the front of the package?

Instead I charged right ahead in to making them in to Simplicity 1356.  Simplicity 1356 is supposed to be a reversible dress, but I intended to make it in to more of a tunic length (imagine that).

This is what I ended up with...I HATE it!



He says, "Try to look happy."  She says, "I can't look happy wearing this!"


He says, "Show me the other side."  She says, "You are about to see my other side!"


I was standing with my hips shifted, the hem is straight, though not really a hem.  I should have taken a sway back adjustment.


He says, "I like this side much better."  She says, "Grrrrr!"


He says, "Show me the lining and try to look happier."  She says, "GRRRRRRR!"

Needless to say, this pattern is not going on my list of favorites.  I worked hard to take this from a size 22 up to my measurements.  Simplicity 1356 just isn't the pattern for me.  I am not big on the whole saying a pattern is or isn't flattering, but this one is doing nothing for me, or my self confidence!  If I do hold on to it, it will be only to use it as a garden apron.

Friends, please tell me your sewing has gone better than mine this week!

18 comments:

  1. All is not lost! Lucky for you, the pattern looks a bit like the sort of top my great aunt used to wear in the garden. It would make a great vintage-esque apron for those messy jam-making days! Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nita. Yes, I guess it would make a nice Jan making apron after I sew a few big pockets on the front.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, it has a definite art-smock vibe to it--I would wear it over a tee shirt for doing messy things like canning tomatoes or painting. Then, when you gunk it up, out it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smock it shall be, with no guilt when I have to toss it.

      Delete
  3. That is really awful and doesn't suit you at all. Honestly I have a hard time imagining that that pattern would look good on anyone. But as an apron, it would be a great clothes-saver for sure. At least it was cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the idea of the pattern was great in theory, but not do much in practice.

      Delete
  4. Don't agree! I like it, red side is though better looking. Perhaps softer thinner fabric would make it feel lighter?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a more cottony fabric would have been a little better, but I still just am not digging it.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain. You work all weekend on a project with the hopes of a wonderful outcome and you just don't feel it once it's done. Just think of this as practice sewing for your next project! Keep sewing & posting!
    www.sewplus.blogspot.com
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, you got it. It was good practice seeing as I topstitched the whole thing, and I used my pattern grading skills.

      Delete
  6. I actually quite like it! Am I weird?? It looks like a thing to wear in the kitchen or garden when you are feeling all 1950s. The fabrics are really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! No, you aren't weird. I love the colors and prints of the fabric. It will make a good garden and kitchen apron once I add some pockets. It just isn't what I hoped it would be. I had visions of reversible tanks to be worn while traveling, and that this piece definitely is not.

      Delete
  7. Ughh, how frustrating! I hate making a wadder, especially when it is one that doesn't reveal itself until the bitter end. Sometimes I'm working on something and I can tell pretty quickly it isn't going to work and make some alterations with some hope of saving it, but when it looks great until the very end, it is so frustrating! Most of my wadders have been due to making cheapie fabric decisions, too. I'm trying to get better about that but sometimes a cute print or really good deal is hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am trying to stop with the cheap fabric myself, but occasionally I get lead in to temptation!

      Delete
  8. I think this would probably look nicer without the wrap part but as a gardening smock it rocks. You just need some pockets (can never have too many). You really suit the red fabric. Was it Sandra Betzina that said only a small % of patterns were actually worth making? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Mother, I think you are right. A few pockets and I may be in business. If Andrea said that she is sooo right.

      Delete
  9. After reading several blogs, and my own experience last week it seems the stars were aligned against sewing!!! Im blaming last fridays triple moon thingy. My wadder last week was of the white eyelet variety. But i agree with others, add pockets and you have an awesome apron, heck go for it and add large rick rack around the edges and maybe some large buttons in a fun shape or color, instead of ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of large buttons and and rick rack. It makes sense for what this is going to end up being. Thanks for the great idea Moon-Shadows!

      Delete